The 85th Meifu-ten exhibit was on earlier this month and I’ve just got round to sorting through the Photo’s. It is a local show but, is one of the biggest in Japan and it is on at the same time as Gafu-ten so often people will visit both in the weekend. I didn’t take pictures of all the tree’s but, the one’s I thought were worth taking a picture of.
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2014 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
A San Francisco cable car holds 60 people. This blog was viewed about 1,400 times in 2014. If it were a cable car, it would take about 23 trips to carry that many people.
Until a couple of years ago, I’d never worked with Limber Pine, one of our North American white pines. It’s growing on me. Buds back well, nice short needle, strong. Has a nice name, Limber Pine, which comes more trippingly off the tongue than Loblolly Pine, for instance. And it has great deadwood features.
This Limber Pine was styled in a Seasonal Workshop a couple of weeks ago. It was collected by a student of mine, Steve Varland of Backcountry Bonsai, who was able to be in the Seasonal to help style it. Loads of fun!
Photo essay follows our journey with this tree-
View original post 126 more words
Spent a wonderful morning at Allen Hills home for the RMBS Sept workshop. He has so many impressive bonsai along with a lot of stock planted for the future.
Love this ponderosa-
However, my job for the day, my little shimpaku.
I want to reduce the hight of this bad boy by splitting the top of the trunk at the Y towards the top. Then, bring all of the foliage in and, reduce the foliage for a fresh start in spring. It was nice to have Will Kerns come by to discuss my process with me. I knew what I wanted to do but his words of wisdome gave me the confidence.
Much of the branches have a lot more character. The Y in the trunk has been split and bent over. A new apex has been created off to the right and will probably be worked over to the left in the future. The bottom right branch that comes left is actually a second trunk. It will either get jined, removed or worked in in the future. Once the rafia is removed from the split section of the trunk, I should have some deadwood to work with on this young shimpaku adding a little more age appearence to it. For now, it’s R&R for this guy. more work to be done in the future.
Please leave feedback. I would like to hear ideas. Thanks
So with the lack of education this summer my boys almost constantly complained they were bored. Hmmm, they complain when their in school and they complain when their not; yep, I remember those days.
Finally I decided I would get them started on a project. I went down to the local pottery store, picked up some clay, a few tools and ran home to educate myself on YouTube.
Allowing the kids to make pots would serve to purposes, (I’d hoped). We could learn to make bonsai pots and they would stay busy and I could get some real work done. Right?
Well, it worked! For two days anyway. The boys actually worked very hard and, had fun too. After I got off I joined them. We made several pots and with help from a local pottery we were able to bisque fire them, glaze and cone fire. Keep in mind the only experience the boys and I have were the ashtrays, wait, I made an ashtray in school however, these days the boys made bowls. Ashtrays are no longer socially acceptable. Lol
Anyway, below is a picture of the results. Nothing to impressive but I will certainly put trees and accents in these pots. I think I may even try again. Hope you enjoy.
We have a few more pots that are waiting to be bisque fired. If you or your children are board during the winter months, pacing the house waiting for the first signs of spring. You may want to give this a try. It’s very inexpensive for the basics. However, I’ll leave the professional stuff to the professionals.
Hello bonsai enthusiasts,
I hadn’t posted in a while. Several things are keeping me away. From kids baseball to work.
Sometimes I wonder if I could just work in the yard all day if I would appreciate it as much as I do now. The frustrations of life is why I escape to my hobbie. 🙂 Anyway, I don’t want to get too deep, lol.
Here is a juniper I picked up this spring. Just your average carpet buffalo creeper. I made several mistakes with this guy. First, I think I may have trimmed off to much foliage.
Second, after trimming and wiring I removed it from the pot, trimmed a few large roots and placed it into this colander.
After trimming and wiring I should have let it rest! Because I over stressed the tree, I lost a lot of foliage and branches. I will say, I am probably lucky that this tree recovered. I am happy that I was able to nurse it back to health however, I had to just let the tree respond to the overworking. I believe that once the pads fill in it will begin to look much better.